Friday, October 9, 2015

Long Time, No....

....See?

....Hear?

....Blog?

Yep, all of the above.

My wife gets home from work in about thirty minutes (it's now 3:01pm EST), so I challenged myself to get a (VERY) long overdue blog post out there before she gets home.

So, what have I been doing in the past two months, since I've put fingers to keyboard at the ole' blog?

Not much, really. We're still basking in the afterglow of getting our new home and getting settled. It's at a point, now, where everything has it's place and it's looking like we've been here for years.

Besides that, we bought a new vehicle.

We had two....a 2007 Ford Focus, that my wife bought before I came into the picture, and a 1996 Honda Civic that my wife won in a raffle about a year ago. The Honda has been very dependable, especially for having over 196,000 mile on it. The Focus....not so much. Don't get me wrong, it's been a pretty solid car but it's now getting to the "little things going wrong with it each month" stage....and usually to the tune of around $200.00-$300.00 a month.  Since we've both seen where this could lead, we decided to go car hunting before we really needed to. Long story short, we wound up getting a 2016 Jeep Patriot. We were lucky in that we were in a good position to put down a sizable (almost half) down payment. That, along with trading in the Focus (so long, pal) put our monthly payments at around $200.00 a month, so it didn't work out too badly.

My new home project is to get my office area set up and, as you can tell, it needs a lot of work.


Which I could use because, believe it, or not, I'm still writing....here and there...as well as going back and doing some editing on my NaNo project from four years (man, has it been that long?) ago. 

Speaking of NaNo, I've decided to not even attempt it this year. The past three years have been dismal failures....no one's fault but my own...and I don't want to disappoint myself again. To those of you doing it, I doff my Panama Jack and support you all the way. Maybe next year for me.

Next month, my wife and I will be celebrating our five year wedding anniversary. Not bad for a guy who had relegated himself to being a bachelor for the rest of his life. More to come on that topic next month.

So, how have you all been keeping? 

Tell me what's new and exciting in your lives. I have to live vicariously through someone! :)

Oh, and by the way, it's now 3:27pm EST. 

Challenge complete!







14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good to hear from you! Glad you got the house set up and you're writing again.
I understand about the vehicle. Even when they're still reliable, you just know something could go wrong due to age.

Mark Means said...

@Alex: Thanks and nice hearing from you, as well :)

Cross Planes said...

Keep us posted on how the editing goes!

Leslie S. Rose said...

Congrats on emerging from the blog fog. I'm impressed considering how many plates you are spinning.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Jeep Patriot - nice. Doesn't it feel good when you don't have to finance the whole thing?

Your office just needs some personality, like a few photos on the wall.

Mark Means said...

@Mark: Will do, brutha!

@Leslie: Thank you and I hope to keep the fog at bay, at least a couple times a week :)

@Diane: No doubt and low payments are nice, as well.

klahanie said...

Hey Mark,

Oh, you've been absent from blogging? Never noticed! LOL Yes, I'm kidding and yes, you've been missed, dude!

Have a great time with your Jeep!

Have a great time with your office!

Thanks goodness you aren't doing that NaNo thingy!

Happy upcoming wedding anniversary to you and your beloved wife.

I'm keeping fairly well as long as I'm kept well below room temperature....

Take care and happy return, Mark.

Gary

Christine Rains said...

Good luck with your editing. I'm skipping NaNo this year too. If only it were in January!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark - well done on getting the house set up, and the cars sorted - it's a relief when things come together. I'm so happy for you both - 5 years and counting that's great ... have a very happy anniversary.

Good luck with your writerly things .. and see you soon - cheers Hilary

Lisa said...

So nice to hear from you and thanks for the update! I'm not "nano-ing" it either this year but only because like you, I want to get the current wip done instead of creating a new one. We bought a new car too, and LOVE it. A hybrid, Ford Fusion. Never owned a car like this before... Congrats on the new house and move and everything! Been super busy here getting things ready for the Florida Writer's Association annual conference that starts next week. I'm in charge of registrations and wow, it's a LOT of work. Glad to see you're still around!!!

Mark Means said...

@Gary: I'm sure you'd be the first to tell me that it's my pleasure to see you haunting my comments section....and you'd be correct! Great to see you and thanks for dropping by. I hope all is well and that you're hanging in there :) Maybe, since we're not doing NaNo, we can do a NaNo BLOGHOP?? No? O.k :)

@Christine: Thank you and I know what you mean. Though, I'd suspect, if it were in January, I'd wish it were in November, lol.

@Hilary: Thank you and we appreciate the well wishes. Hopefully, we'll get 50 more years :D I hope you're doing well!

@Lisa: Nothing like that new car smell, right? What part of Florida is the conference? I might have to look into attending, time permitting. Drop me a line if you get a chance mmeans1@gmail.com Thanks!

Tammy Theriault said...

Congrats on the anniversary and I'm not a NANO person either. No time! Welcome back ;)

Shannon Lawrence said...

Hello, stranger! Glad you were able to check in. The last two new vehicles we got were for that same reason: little things going wrong. We sat down and figured out how much work was going to be needed on our Jeep, and it was insane. So we traded it in on a Wrangler. Congratulations on five years next month!

Julie Flanders said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your wife! I assumed you'd been married for ages, I don't know why. That's awesome that you found each other later in life. Gives me hope LOL.

Great to hear from you, Mark.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...